Saturday, December 10, 2011

Hard to be Thankful

When David was first diagnosed with Trisomy 18 it seemed everyone's only solution/plan of action was to end the pregnancy and honestly that's what we wanted to happen, only I wasn't willing to initiate it. I wanted God to let David pass because I didn't think we would be strong enough to continue. I have been blessed by the online stories of so many moms and dads who have faced the same heartache in their pregnancies. It helped us to be confident in our decision to continue the pregnancy and that it was not only the right decision but one I'll never ever regret making. I wasn't able to find a single parent that continued with the pregnancy that wished they had terminated the pregnancy. There were very few stories about families that did terminate and it only makes since to me that some of those moms and dads will reflect back on that child later in life and wonder what may have been, what would have happened. I know i would have and I think it would have haunted me. The time David spent with us was not only very difficult, but an amazingly special time in my life. He blessed us in so many ways and we have seen such an outpouring of love and support from not only our friends and family but their friends and family. I know there were many people we don't even know praying for us and thinking about us. Wow!

On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, November 23, 2011, I had a routine midwife appointment. It was at this very appointment our fears were realized, David had passed on from this earth. It almost seems silly to be so sad since he is now in a perfect body in heaven with God. A much, much better place to be than here with us. We're still so very, very sad to be without him though. We decided to do our best to enjoy our Thanksgiving and put off induction till Saturday. I am glad we decided to give it a few days so we would have time mentally and emotionally to prepare for David's birth without feeling rushed. I savored my last few hours carrying David and absolutely feared having to say goodby.

Amy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy
    I am so proud of you and Matt. I couldn't even begin to imagine how tough this was. I sent a package to you yesterday. Please open it right away. It isn't a Christmas package. It may even make you cry, which is why I wouldn't want you to open it on Christmas morning when you should be happy. I saw it and thought it was a beautiful keepsake.
    Love and miss you!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete