Saturday, December 10, 2011

Born Into Heaven

Thanksgiving Thursday and the following Friday went by very quickly and unbelievably slow at the same time. I felt like I had so much to do. I wanted to have a photographer come take photos of us with David, and I wanted to purchase a few items to help us make memories before I went in to the hospital. We also needed to make arrangements for Adalyn's care, boarding for Emma, and to prepare and feast on a Thanksgiving meal. I was very glad to be hosting and preparing Thanksgiving dinner at our house with our neighbors this year. It gave us a good distraction from life and time to enjoy our friends.

It was decided that I would go into the hospital to be induced at midnight Friday evening. My favorite midwife, Jasmine O. was working the Saturday day shift from 8am to 8pm. I wanted for her to be the one to deliver David. Any of you with any experience, professionally or personally, would be aware that induction of labor usually takes longer than spontaneous labor and delivery. So if I arrived at the hospital at 8am chances would be slim for me to deliver within 12 hours.

We decided to have Matthew stay at home with Adalyn overnight so he would be able to get a good nights rest. I was hoping to sleep through the night at the hospital anyway, so I didn't think I would need him for support until the morning. I arrived at the hospital at midnight and my induction officially started around 2am. I had some cramping, but I successfully slept through the night.

I was happy to hear that my body had already started preparing for labor and I was almost 2cm dilated and 20% effaced before we even got started. Hopefully this induction would not take as long as the 34 hours it took for Adalyn to be born. I was also very pleased to learn that I would not require pitocin or a routine IV and only an external monitor to monitor my contractions and I was allowed to eat breakfast.

Matthew arrived shortly before 10am and I was so happy to see his shoes behind the curtain when he opened the door to my room. Around the time Matthew arrived my cramping started to turn into contractions. They were coming fairly close together but the intensity was moderately mild, and was an uncomfortable pain, but not describable as painful. That didn't last for too long. I was able to sit on one of those big exercise balls and lean over the bed. I was much more comfortable in this position than laying back. My back was aching and Matthew worked hard to rub my back in an effort to relieve my pain. It helped a lot, but the pain inevitably became more and more intense. Finally I didn't think I would make it through with the incredible amount of pain I was having and almost no resting time between contractions. Our wonderful nurse, Sara, gave me some Tylenol and I will tell you that it made all the difference in the world! Anyone who I've talked to about pain medication and birthing interventions knows that I prefer to have none of it if at all possible. Matthew thought that he wanted me to have an epidural because we were in so much emotional hurt that he didn't want me to have to endure any physical pain, but I decided that I wanted to experience everything about David's life even if it were painful. I didn't want to miss out on anything! I was still in quite a bit of pain after I had the Tylenol but the unbearable edge was removed and I knew I would be able to handle the pain in front of me. Not too long after that my hips started to hurt from sitting on the exercise ball. I returned to the bed and I knew that it probably wouldn't be too much longer before it was time to deliver David. I wanted my nurse to get my midwife to access my progress, but she was unavailable at the moment caring for another patient in the birthing suites upstairs. I labored for a bit longer because I thought I still had some time and I didn't want a strange doctor to care for me. Then I knew it was time. Jasmine arrived barely in time. David practically delivered himself, I didn't have to do any pushing at all.

David was born into heaven at 12:55pm on November 26th, 2011. He weighed a hefty 13oz and measured 10 inches long. He was so tiny and he was perfect. All ten fingers, all ten toes, ears, eyes, lips, nose, tongue. He was our perfect son, beautifully made by God for us. He is now our angel in heaven watching over us.

It was a little strange that I wanted so badly to have photos taken of him, but once he was born I instantly changed my mind. We took a couple with our own camera, but prefer to remember him in our minds memories. The footprint impression kit I purchased also was a no go. He was too small and too fragile for it. I was disappointed that all of my memory makers failed to work because his little body wasn't strong enough. Our nurse Sara informed us that she would make us a memory box, and it would included his sweet footprints.

We were given as much time as we wanted to be with David. We held him, wrapped him in a special blanket that his great grandma and great grandpa quilted for him, talked to him, and read him stories that we had picked out especially for him.

When the time came that I was most afraid of, to say goodbye, I felt so much peace. It was so hard to watch the nurse take him away knowing I would never lay eyes on him or hold him again.

After we said goodbye to David they moved us upstairs for recovery. I was glad they didn't try to put me in the mother/baby unit. I spent nearly the entire time there sleeping. I wanted time to go by as quickly as possible. I just wanted to arrive home to be with Matthew and my sweet, sweet Adalyn. They had told me I might be released as soon as 12 hours after delivery, but since David was born at almost 1pm, I don't think any hospital releases patients in the middle of the night, I had to stay overnight. I would have been released earlier in the morning, but the hospital wanted me to visit with the staff social worker before I left. By noon on Sunday I was headed home. The 36 hours I spent in the hospital at UCSD will always be a time of mixed sorry and joy.
We love you David!

Amy

1 comment:

  1. Now come many long months of healing. I will be praying for you as you travel this road. It is a hard one with many ups and downs. Don't be ashamed of any of the emotions you encounter, they are a part of the healing process and need to be let out. It has been almost 4 months for us now and is still terribly difficult. I'm sorry you had to go through this experience, lean on God for your strength and the three of you will make it through.

    ReplyDelete